This is a dish I made almost every week during 2017. It is an absolute favourite of mine & many who I have shared it with, my boyfriend asked for it three nights in a row last week which has got to mean something – Bearing in mind that giving him plant-based foods has been somewhat of a significant change for him- But, that is a story for another time.
I often crave this meal when I have done a lot of exercise & need some protein & fuel. The mixture of the rice & beans together makes it a vegan meal with a complete protein nutritional value – Winner!
- 60g brown basmati rice
- ½ bag (100g) spinach
- ½ an onion
- ½ a red chilli
- 1 x 400g can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400g can of butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed or chopped
- 5 tsp tomato purée
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Chilli flakes
- Coconut Yogurt (optional)
- Place the rice in a saucepan with 200ml of boiling water & cook for 40 minutes.
- Place the chopped onion & spinach & chilli in a frying pan with the garlic, tomato purée, a drop olive oil, salt and pepper. cook on low for about five minutes or until the spinach has cooked through.
- Add the beans & cook until they are warm.
- Mash the avocado with olive oil, salt & pepper.
- Plate up!
- If the chilli needs cooling down add a dollop of coconut yoghurt on top – You never can tell how hot your chilli is until it is in the dish:)
- Sprinkle with chilli flakes.
The absolute dream! Have a happy week everyone.