I am yet to meet someone who was not exposed to French Toast/Eggy Bread in their childhood. This delicious breakfast was a special treat in our household when I was young & it is, therefore, one of the things I will ALWAYS love & would certainly never want to give up.
Of course, the one question I asked myself before going vegan was ” Will I have to give up french toast?” – Alas, NO! I did some extensive research & experimenting with this one & thus came up with this delicious V..rench Toast recipe!
This easy egg-free vegan French toast recipe uses bananas instead of eggs, giving it a sweet flavour, which is delicious, you wouldn’t even guess it is a plant-based meal . Give it a try!
- 1 heaped Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 Tbsp maple syrup (You can use honey if you’re not vegan)
- 1 cup oat milk
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 5 slices of ciabatta bread – I like to use one that has pecan nuts & cranberries in it (recipe for this up soon) – Homemade is ALWAYS better.
- 1/2 a Punnet of berries for topping (I like blackberries with this recipe)
- place all ingredients, except the bread, in a blender. Blend until smooth and fluffy. Place in the fridge for 10 minutes to allow the chia seeds to swell a bit.
- Preheat the pan to a fairly high heat, add 1 Tbsp of coconut oil.
- Dip each slice of bread in the batter for about 30 seconds on each side. Do not soak for too long but allow the wet mixture to soak in a bit.
- Place on the hot pan and cook until golden brown, the flip.
- Top with the yoghurt and berries toppings. I went with coconut yoghurt (I use Coconut Collaborative which is amazing), and maple syrup.